Newspaper Archive of
The Billings County Pioneer
Beach, North Dakota
Lyft
May 5, 1960     The Billings County Pioneer
PAGE 6     (6 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 6     (6 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
May 5, 1960
 

Newspaper Archive of The Billings County Pioneer produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2020. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




BILLINGS COUNTY PIOI~E. ER @ pport by Margaret Anderson Stay, ~Exten- qdon Librarian With North Dakota less than a hundred years old it is only natural that the frontier pioneer influences are still very noticeable in its cul- tural devele:~ment. This is parti-I cularly true of the library move- ment throughout the state. The libraries of such cities as Bismarck, Mandan, Fargo, James- town, Grand Forks, Minot. Dick- rosen and Valley City reflect their longevity and firm foundations. But scattered about our rolling prairie state are countless small town libraries typical of the status of "s t r u g g I i n g toward bigger things." As our frontier state became pop- ~lated and the new land taken un- der cultivation, the citizens had many problems to meet. Important' among them was schooling for their children. This problem covered all phases of learning, including libr- ary facilities to aid in the educa- ting process of the youth. Local government was the first necessity, followed very shortly by some type of schooling. Along with commercial enterprises, the spiritual and cultural influences were not neglected. Various religious faiths .~oon were established with formal church affiliations strougly found- ed. Libraries. study clubs, musical advantages and the like were early recognized as important parts of the community. The Impetus for libraries in isolated communities came largely from the people them- selves. Perhaps it was mostly the women of the area who thought about such things and yearned for the better things for their children. But no matter who started the local projects for collections of books, every- one in the area cooperated with the plan. In countless empty offices, storerooms, basements front parlors the beginnings of small town libraries were born out of the love of and de- slre for reading plus a serious respect for "book learning". The orlraaintions that were respon- sible for the founding of these small to~m libraries are varied but typical of the oommunlties that support them. The Public Library in New Salem was started in 1935 by the Ameri- can Legion Auxiliary under the guidance of Ella Kruger and Kath- rme Buckman. Donations were re- ceived from the community as well as duplicate volumes from the Bis- marck and Minor libraries. The N.Y.A. girls and W.P.T. wo- men repaired and prepared the books for local use. December 12th was the opening day. Since that time memorial gifts of all kinds have increased tee volumes and regular donations of money and boOks are given by many groups in the area. Mrs. Elmer Streib is the present li- brarian. BowmAn Interest in having a library in Bowman, dates from the summer of 1913 when a group of 21 ladies met to discuss such a project. On Nov- ember 2. 1913, a formal opening of their library was held. A room ad- Jacent to the Masonic Hall over the Herzig Meat Market. was donated by the Masonic Lodge and prepared for a reading room. The library Association had raised money through dances, card parties, bake sales, baseball games, home talent plays, lyceum courses, tag days and other events. In the fall of 191~. J. E. Phelan errected the Clara Lincoln Phelan Memorial as s home for the library. Funds were still raised by popular subscription. In 1918 the library was put on a taxation basis and the building and property deeded to the village in October, 1943. Mrs. Mertie Pond served as librarian from 1950 through 1952. Mrs. Martha Stone is the present librarian. The library contains over 4,000 volumes of all types of fiction and non-fiction. LzMoure Project It was the fortnightly Club in CaMoure that decided to sponsor JAbrary facilities for that city back ~n /922. A committee consisting of ~rs. Paul Adams, Mrs. James A. ;Frank and Mrs. Fred Bennet organ- ~lzed the project using a room in ~he new Community building. The library was stocked by donations, ~nat~i b7 cl~b members acting as and supported by the Club and various fund raising pro- grams. In 1926 the LaMoure Community Club voted to assist the project and a tax levy became the support The library continued to grow. moving into the American Legicn Hall for more space in 1940. A tragic blow was suffered in 1966 when the Hall was destroyed bY fire and over 6,000 books were lost. But the citizens of the area donated funds, labor and materials to start another library in the Com- munity building. Presently there are about 3,000 books on the shelves. Books on loan from the State Library Commission and the Regional Library are also circulated, Total circulation in 1959 was close to I0.000 with about 700 patrons holding cards. Much credit is given Mrs. Eliz- abeth Fran member of the first committee, and librarian for many years, for her leadership. Serving as the librarian today is Mrs. H. Rural library service means Just that, when a bookmobile begins Its rounds in a locality. Often actual farms become depots or stopping )laces for the mobile unit. Schools and villages also serve as book- mobile depots. Mrs. Elmer Strieb, New Salem librarian, says the library serves as a focal center in the community. Organized in 1935 by Fne American Legion Auxiliary, the library was originally supplied with dongtions from the community, as well as duplicate volumes from the Bismarck and Minor libraries. was set up downtown in Mr. Neers' years old. Mrs. J. W. Byam, one of office with Miss Bess Bridges as the early residents is credited with first librarian. The Literary Club, starting the service when she gath-I later changed to the Woman's Club, ered a small collection of her own books and those of a few friends and began to lend them out for a small fee. The local W.C.T.U. took over the project in 190~. adding books from their membership. They operated the loaning service until 1911. At that time the volumes and cash were turned over to the City. The first city library was on the second floor of the auditorium. In 1914 when the City Hall was erect- ed the library quarters were desig- nated there where they have con- tinued to be located. arian for some years and notes a steady increase in facilities and in- terest in her area. Hetflnger The Hettinger area. county seat of Adams county, has benefited from the efforts of the Twentieth Century Club which in 1912 formed the nu- cleus of what is now their fine city library. During the years it has been financed by public fund drives, teas, tag days and so on. Volunteer help kept weekly hours to loan out books. Mrs. Claude Mar- ion. a graduate librarian, supervis- ed the cataloguing of the books ac- cording to the Dewey Decimal .sys- tem. In 1945 a Hettinger Public Library Association was formed consisting of the Twentieth Century Club, Monday, Club, PTA, Hettinger Homemakers and the Chamber of Commerce. These clubs gave the chief support for the expenses. At this time to give expanded service the library was moved to its pre- sent location in the County Court- house. By 1958, after city petitions were signed, it became a City Library financed by ~a~ funds. Over 3,000 books are inventoried at present, many given as memorials. Mrs. Ed- gar Martin is credited with doing much toward the development of this library. Mr~ Vida Richardson is the acting librarian at present. The Board consists of Robert E. Pelerson. C. White, Mrs. Arthur Dairs, Mrs. E. SahTstr0m and the librarian. There are over 400 bor- rowers. Hebron Mrs. Verda Mears, librarian of the Hebron Public Library, writes that their project has been going since 1930 when the American Legion continued to back the program. The location was changed several times until its present site, the Beach Leagion Hall. The city of Beach donates $50 per month for books and pays the rent; the American Legion donates the heat and light; the Woman's Club pays the librarian's salary On April 17, 1959 a public tea was held honoring the three past librarians still residents of Beach. Each had served for seven years. They were: Mrs. Ellen Arnold, Mrs. Grace Houck and Mrs. Mabel Kosh- At present some 6.000 volumes are ney. As they approach their golden included in their collection with an anniversary, Beach Public Library annum circulation of over 15.fl@0. can point with pride to its years of Mrs. Maude Blumer has been libr- service to a vast area with farm and ranch families as well as town- Auxiliary sponsored it. Mrs. Ted Mark was the guiding spirit in the movement. In recent years the city has donated $I00 per year toward its upkeep, otherwise the cost has been defrayed by the Auxiliary. It contains about 1500 books: is lo- cated in the City Hall: and is open two hours a week with volunteer help. Beach Almost fifty years ago the women of Beach. out on the most western edge of the state, met in a private home and discussed the need for a library. Thy organized themselves into a Literary Club on February 18, 1911. The next spring they voted to buy one hundred dollars worth of new bookS and to ask for do- nations to start a public library for their town, W. Harm.sen. ~leaxlale ~ Their project was supported at L~brary service in ~PAendale is [once arid the first loaning library folk as its patrons, numbering over 800. The circulation has climbed to over 25,000 and the stock of books to over 7,000. Serving as librarian today is Mrs. Jennie Spiegelberg, assisted by Mrs. Dorothy Thomp- son. Cinderella Llbra~ Perhaps the "Cinderella Library" has been the Edgeley Public Li- brary, which has had a dramatic and thrilling metamorphosis in the past year. The whole community is proud of it. A long story is be- hind the venture, but playing a pro- minent part in it is Mrs. Emil G. Bleedow, who has been a tireless worker and supporter of the library movement. It looks like she has been successful. ! The old American Legion bull-I dlng, two-storied, square and sub-I stantial, was purchased by her and l presented to the city as adequate housing for a serviceable library. Next, Mrs. Bloedow personally su- pervised the rennovation of the strut~trre, often assisting in the ac- tuaI grimy labor of reconstruction. However, Edgeley had a library before Mrs. "B', Back in 1915 the Civic and Study Club had formed a voltmeter library service to loan books. Through the years the fee- ble venture was nurtured and kept alive by a few dedicated citizens, its location in various spots. About ten years ago a delegation of women headed by Mrs. LeRoy Johnson and Mrs. BIoedow request- ed permission from the City Coun- cil for the use of the basement in the City Hall as a library room. With dozens of volunteers the "cellar" was fixed up at a cost of $300. A new interest m reading was noticeable throughout the area; the library grew in volumes and cir- culation. The next step ,was the formation of a group called Citizens for the Li'brary, made up of dele- gates from all the organized wo- men's clttbs of the community. Their aim was to expand their library into a more accessible spot and to give better service. After months of intensive planning and effort the present structure was made available. The imposing Edgeley Library was really the first schoolhouse of the village, built in 1889, so it is fitting that it has had a re-birth and is now the repository of thou- sands of books. The latest development is that it has become the headquarters for the Regional Library. As such, in- dications are that the future growth IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN, the changeover from standard to daylight saving. Officially, clocks should be moved up one hour, from I a.m. to 2 a.m as indicated by shapely actress Vcra-Eilen, but ~'o- can do it at bedtime Saturday night, of rural services in the area will FARMERS MUTUAL ADOFI~ continue. COMI~ACT CAR DISCOUNT Mrs. Ruth Evert is both city li- A 10 per cent"compact car" dis- brarian and regional librarian. Mrs. count for insurance coverage has Beulah Schultz is bookmobile li. been introduced by Farmers Mat- brarian assisted by Shelby Smith, driver. The mobile unit has regular routes and dozens of stops through- out the section, reaching the schools and towns, serving adults and youth. From a puny start in 1915 with a handful of books and few patrons to the 1960 status of 5;558 books and 788 borrowers, plus being the head- quarters of the regional service is the remarkable record of the Public Library of Edgeley. As a community service project the New England American Legion Auxiliary opened a free public li- brary and reading room in Novem- ber of 1931. A major fund raising activity was the presentation of an operetta, "The Governor's Daugh- ter", with a cast of local residents. al of Madison, Wisconsin. Coverage to which the 10 per cent discoun.t will apply are bodily in- jury, property damage, comprehen- sive, and collision. Year models eli- g~ble include 1954 and later. Acording to Matt Kraft and Bet- hard Ringhan, local agents for Farmers Mutual arid American Family, the maximums to qualify as compact cars have been estab- lished as: 3,000 pounds: length- 200 inches; horsepower- 130; and price $2,500 at part of entry for foreign cars, no limit for American cars. Campact cars have certain char- acteristics, in addition to their lar- ger cousins. Their greater maneu- verability, smaller road and park- ing space requirements, and lower organizations in the town. Volunteer help has given devot- ed hours of service and mainten- ance. Supplementary materials have come from the State Library Com- mission. A board of five from the AI A governs the administration of the library, which is housed in the fine American Legion Hall on the main street. Mrs. A. P. Zeren is the librarian today. Over 3,000 books have been cataloged plus many magazines. Children of the community parti- cularly enjoy these facilities and borrow the greatest number of books. ~r-]-- Home dry cleaning is too danger- ous to be the answer to winter clothing care problems. To avoid Less glass area. including smaller and less costly windshields, plus re- duced use of ornamentation and trim would seem to justify lower comprehensive and collision rates them required to cover hazards to the larger, more luzurious auto- mobiles. Irving J. Maurer, president of Farmers Mutual and American Family, states, "Time and exper- ience alone will prove whether compact cars actuaKy merit a tow- er rate. "However, in a hope t~mt this will be true and to make Farmers lV~utual protection a better buy, this action has been taken." "- Approval of the discount plan has been received from ~llinols,'In- diana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North and South Dakota and Wisconsin insurance depart- tional 4-H nutrition committee, tion in industrial markets. New Mill Requires Pictured above is a new fl0ur mill in Guatemala that will require foreign shipments el~ wheat to keep it in production. Paul' E. R. Abrahamsen. adml~trator of the N, O. Wheat Commission. took liar picture recently when be was lourlng Central and South American countries to ascertain the wheat mid d=r~m market conditions. Abrahamson said that new flour m~llls are boiag built in these coun- tries, shifting msr market there from flour to wheat. "We must move Into this n~rket area with ldgb quality wheat and improved sellkng methods," Abrahams~m ~d, Rural Library Not Adequate Fourteen counties were in- cluded in this general survey. with a total of approximately 83,000 population and 18,000 square miles. This section repre- sents about one-fourth of the total area of the state and one- fourth the nmnber of counties but only about one-twelfth the total populatio~n. Out of this rgion there were only two urban areas, Dickin- son and Mandan, they were not included. In reviewing the facts presented there is really very little library service available for the 83,0@@ people in 18,000 square miles. The mnall towns have been struggling for past decades to give some library service to their citizens and communities, but it is here exposed as all too inadequate. It is praisewor- thy that this much has been given and it is noted that in- terest in libraries has continued to grow and expired through the years, but not commensurate with the need for modern liv- ing. An informed citizenry is the best safeguard against the down- fall of the democratic way of life which Americans believe is the ultimate for them. This article is not meant to be an exact measure but rather a yardstick pointing out the good work long dmae and contin- uing to be given by typical small town libraries in our state. It is to suggest to the citizenry of these areas, as well as others, that there is great need for ad- ditional rural library facilities in order that books of all kinds may be easily accessible to the adnits and youth of the most re- mote regions. "Book for every boy! A book for every girl! A book for every adult! and another next week." could well be the slogan could come true on the prairle~ of North Dakota if our citizens become aware of the need for and opportu~ities offered In li- brary services aid. --~Margaret Stav Allowable, : 3,845 Barrels, 'Sets New Record North Dakota's May oil produc- tion allowable of 63,845 barrels a day exceeds the previous all-time high by about 2,500 barrels daily. In other action at the state in- dustrial commission meeting, state Sen. John O. Garaas of Watford City appeared as attorney for a group of property owners opposed to Shell. Oil Co.'s request for 160- acre well spacing in the Clear Creek-Madison pool in McKenzie county. Garaas' group asked 80- acre spacing. Shell geologist testified the pool could not be operated econonomi- rally on 80-acre spacing and assert- ed property owners' rights w~uld be protected as much with 160 as with 80-acre spacing. Garaas argued that in other areas in McKenzie county 80-acre spac- ing exists and that the companies are profiting from it. The commission heard requests for 160-acre spacing in the Gros Venire field in Burke county, 86- acre spacing for the development of a pool in Renville county by British-American Oil Co and a recommendation for seven-eighth al- lowable in Humble Oil Co.'s off- pattern well in the Tioga pool in Burke County. A request for special field rules was made by Shell Oil Co. at the Cedar Creek-Ordovican pool in Bowman county. The commission took all cases un- der advisement. Nominale Six IF0r GNBA Board Six members of the Greater North Dakota Assn have been nominat- ed for five positions on the GNDA board of directors. They are: I-L J. Charbonneau. Dickir/son; Joseph S. Fevold, Bis- marck; John B. Hart, Rolla; A. J. Hausauer, Wahpeton; H. H. Her- berger, Grand Forks, and J. E. John- son, Bottineau. Fevold, Hausauer and Herberger are incumbents. GN- DA directors not seeking re-elec- tion are L. H. Jaeger, Dickinson; WIn. A. Kunkel. Carrington. and W. T. Munn Jr Westhope Although GNDA members will elect six members to the board for three year terms at the association's annual meeting in Jamestown Mon- day (April 25), no nomination has been received from GNDA district 7 (Eddy, Foster, Kidder, Sheridan and Wells counties), now represent- ed by Kunkel. The only election contest at the Jamestown meet/ng will be be- tween Hart and Johnson, both no- mina~ted as district directors to rep- resent Bottineau, McHenry, Pierce, Renville and Rolette counties. According to the association's by- laws, nominations close 10 days in advance of the GNDA annual meet- ing. Nominations are permitted at the meeting only if no nominating petition had been received by the deadline.